Monday, September 24, 2012

Exciting Week

Parents! I'm sorry I haven't posted in a while! I enjoyed getting to meet with many of you last week in parent teacher conferences. We have several exciting things happening this week that I would like to make you aware of.

First, we have now come to the completion of our first writing unit and will be having an Author Celebration on Tuesday! Another class will be coming in to be an audience for the students' stories. Your children have worked hard and learned a lot! I am proud of their work. Their writing will be showcased on a bulletin board in the hallway for the whole school to see!

Second, today we began our spelling groups. As I mentioned with many of you in the conferences, I chose to devote the first month of school on just getting the students writing, and now we are ready to begin working on more of the mechanics, such as spelling. The students are placed in small leveled groups so that the words are just right for their developmental stage. I will send home a list of the words each week, and I will also create a space for them on the blog where I will update the lists each week. You will need to ask your child which group number they are in. While there is no required homework with the words, I suggest that you at least review the words with your child at home so that they can have more practice with the words than just in class. We will test the words each Friday.

Third, on Wednesday, Fox 13 will be coming and filming live at our school because Quail Run is the "Cool School of the Week!" They will arrive at 6 am, and the students are welcome to come at that time, or any time from then until school starts to participate. Specifically, if your child would like to be on tv, they can join in doing a dance they have learned for the 6:47 spot. Mrs. Bird would like them to the school by 6:15 if they wish to participate.

Finally, thank you again so much for all you do to support your children in their schooling! I continue to love working with them and getting to know more about them. Please let me know if there is anything more I can do for you or your child in order for them to be successful and enjoy school. I love learning, and want them to experience that as well! Thank you!

Oh, and here's the update on dance and health from Mrs. Bird:
Dance - What patterns can our bodies perform? Students will be introduced to the various patterns the body performs naturally. Students will identify with the following body pattern terms: body-half, upper/lower, and cross-lateral.

Health - Are the meals I am eating nutritious? Students will analyze the school lunch menu and determine if the meals they are being fed here at school are nutritious and then sort the foods on the school menu into the proper food groups. Students will create personal daily menus that include all food groups.

No comments:

Post a Comment